Sunday, July 23, 2006

Every human being is alike in the basic sense that they have an aim in their live; either a life-long aim or many aims at very other point of their life. In my opinion, I think that many people will have the latter instead of the first-mentioned, especially in these days when kids and children are constantly being bombarded my parents and teachers alike to do goal setting for their PSLE, “O” and “A” levels. That’s already 3 goals in the short life span of 18 years. And this is not mentioning the little target settings for minor tests and C.A.s. And as one proceeds on in life, one will be overwhelmed by the number of goals that the society expects of the individual and what one expects from oneself; achieving financial stability, career advancement, starting a family, bringing up one’s own children in the best possible method, planning for retirement so on and so forth.
The above passage may have a negative tone to it. But I’m definitely not saying that having goals and aims to achieve is a bad thing. Instead, I’m implying that the exact opposite is true. Goals and aims can really spur a person to work hard. Without them, it simply feels like I’m missing something in myself. The something can be the drive to work, or anything else. I know it just too well. I mean, for myself, I’ve always have had goals and aims to work towards to. In secondary school, it was to study hard and score at least 5 distinctions for the “O” levels so that I can have my name up on a star and displayed along the stretch of walls leading to the classrooms. I achieved that goal of my 3years back. Then, the next goal was to study hard to make it to the university of my choice. I achieved that as well. And I find that though I spent the last 4 to 5 years studying very hard for the “O”s and “A”s, I find that period of time very well-spent and I don’t regret not spending as much time with my family so that I can focus on studying. (Well, at least I’m not regretting now, maybe in the future, I don’t really know). It was because of the aims that I had that pushed me to study hard so that I can achieve them. And now, after more than half a year of not studying, I feel that I have lost the momentum and the drive to do anything. I figured that it’s the aimless lifestyle that caused this. Other than preparing for tuitions and tutoring, I’m not looking forward to anything else. One can argue that to lead a relatively free and easy life can be an aim. Yes, this may be the lifestyle that many is looking for, but it’s definitely not the kind of lifestyle I want to lead. I feel the need to be doing something constructively during most of the time. This explains the restlessness in me right now. Hopefully, when school starts, this will change and that I will have a aim to work towards. I guess, that aim will be to balance studies with tuition assignments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: