Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Research Attachment- Adventure at IMCB

Not too bad for the first day. Had a 1 one plus briefing by someone name Joshua and the safety officer. Settled some adminsitrative stuff, such as attendance and getting our access cards. The access cards are so cool...you need it wherever you go...like the name suggests, it enables one to access to some place.
Anyway,spent the morning discussing what I've read on cancer research, phase-2- enzymes, ARE regulated genes with my supervisor/ mentor, and also clearing my many doubts. We went into the project plan next. I'm going to find out the effects of ARE rehulated genes on cells...does it really prevent cancer by activating some pathways? sounds abstract? That's what I thought initially too. But, after discussing futher with my mentor, everything become clearer. And so, I went to search for more information on the cell I'll be working with. The SH-SY5Y cells, its culture medium and its morphology...
Lunch time at Soul Food Court. It's a food court, not a restaurant like Seoul Garden. Ate prata with chicken curry...the prata is really crispy, I must say.
After the bite, I went back the labs. Now that I'm full and energeised, it's time for me to start on real lab work...firstly, we got a lab coat for myself. Like someone said,:" One will not look scientific without a lab coat." And so, we got a lab coat for myself. It is whit and sort of a little too big for me...but, never mind all that. Next was the gloves. We've got a pair of gloves that fit nicely...small-size though...Being fully-geared, I really feel like a true researcher. We went to B2 to collect some solutions to be used for our culture today. Really feel like some doctor on housemanship wearing the lab coat and walking along the corridors of B2 which resembles some hospital. We cultured the sy5y cells after preparing the medium. And it is sitting in the incubator now! Tommorrow, I'll be able to see them. (To Lydia: If you would like some information on how to culture the cells, contact me personally) I think I'll stop here for the attachment, if not, my blog will become a scientific journal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: